International Journal of Advanced Research and Development


ISSN: 2455-4030

Vol. 4, Issue 3 (2019)

Prevalence and Financial Significance of Bovine Hydatidosis at Doyogena Woreda Municipal abattoir, Southern Ethiopia

Author(s): Mishamo Lechamo, Tariku Geinoro
Abstract: A cross- sectional study was conducted from November 2013 to April 2014 to estimate the prevalence, financial significance and characterizing cyst due to hydatidosis in cattle slaughtered at Doyogena Woreda municipal abattoir. Out of the total 412 cattle examined visually and manually (palpation and incision), 71(17.2%) were found harboring hydatid cysts. A significantly higher infection was detected on cattle age greater than five years (p<0.05) and less than or equal to five years. Regarding body condition score and origin of animals, no significant variation (p>0.05) was observed as the prevalence was (22.2%) for poor conditioned cattle, (17.3%) for medium conditioned cattle and (14.5%) for fat cattle. Of the total 71 infected, 43(60.6%) animals had hydatid cysts only in the single organ, while the rest 28(39.4%) had multiple organ infections. Of the 112 cysts counted in different visceras, the highest number 51(45.5%) was in lung following 39(34.2%) in liver, 12 (10.7%) in kidney and 10 (9.0%) in spleen. Of the total 112 hydatid cysts counted, 47(41.2%), 35(31.3%) and 30(26.8%) were found to be small, medium and large respectively. In addition, out of the total 112 cysts collected, 30(26.8) were fertile, 73(65.2%) sterile and 9(8.0%) calcified cysts. There was a significant difference in fertility of cyst from different organs (p<0.05), those of lung origin being highly fertile. Likewise, out of the 30 fertile cysts subjected for viability test, 13(43.3%) were viable and 17(56.7%) were non-viable. Considering the current result, the total annual financial loss from organ condemnation and carcass weight loss due to bovine hydatidosis at Doyogena municipal abattoir was estimated at 1,368,804.3456 ETB.
Pages: 53-59  |  343 Views  118 Downloads
download hardcopy binder
library subscription
Journals List Click Here Research Journals